To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Town Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

Town Hall is open from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM until 4:00 PM daily.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

You can obtain a burn permit from Roosevelt County dispatch or from the Bainville Rural Volunteer Fire Chief.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Does the Town of Bainville have a curfew?

The Town of Bainville does NOT have its own curfew law. It does, however, follow the Roosevelt County Ordinance #5, which enforces a county-wide curfew nightly between the hours of 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Town of Bainville, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the Town of Bainville hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.


What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to Town hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Fire Department

When are the Fire department meetings?

Meetings are held ever 1st Monday of every month at the Firehall on 207 Duval Street.

How do I become a volunteer fire person?

Attend a meeting for application or have a current member in good standing sponsor you. 

How do I obtain a burn permit?

Obtain a Roosevelt County Burning permit from any of the following:

  1. Contact Chief Lambert at (406) 769-7039
  2. Contact David Norton at (406) 769-7635
  3. Contact PA Norton at (406) 769-7037
  4. Contact the Town office at (406) 769-2621

Fill out the permit and fax completed form back to Dispatch. Permittee is liable for control of burn.

Can I have a fire pit?

Yes, less than 4' in diameter and must follow burn restrictions. 

What is the current Fire Restrictions for the Town of Bainville?

The Current Fire Restrictions can be found on the State of Montana Website.

Parks & Recreation

Do I need a permit to use the Gazebo in Simard Park?

A Special Use permit is required if you would like to use the park for a special event. The permit will need to be approved by the Mayor and Council at their regular scheduled council meeting so please plan accordingly to guarantee your event. The cost for the special use permit is $25.00 per event.

Sanitation Services

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

The current day for garbage collections is Wednesday every week. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

My dumpster is full, can i use a different dumpster?

Yes. All the dumpsters in Bainville are serviced by the same company, and we would prefer the use of a different dumpster in town rather than overfill one, or place garbage on the ground next to a full dumpster. 


Can non-residents of Bainville use the town dumpsters?

No. Only town residents are authorized to use the town's contract garbage service.


Are any other garbage containers allowed?

No. No other containers are allowed. Requests for increased or decreased dumpster capacity are to be filed in writing with the Town Clerk before being conveyed to the contract carrier in order to monitor the public health, welfare and safety of the garbage service.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

Is there help in paying my bill?

Currently, the Town of Bainville does work with Action for Eastern Montana. Customers will need to fill out an application if they are eligible for their services. More information can be found at on their website: Action For Eastern Montana

LIHEAP Application

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

My pipes are frozen, who do i contact?

From curb stop to Residential or Commercial users, lines are customer responsibilty (Property Owner).  If you are a renter, contact your Landlord immediately. If you are unsure of whom to contact, please call the Town office at (406) 769-2621 for clarification. 

*The Town has responsibility to city mains and curb stops ONLY.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the Town of Bainville. Please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.

Railroad Safety Measures

Who do you call if you have been waiting for more than 20 minutes to cross the crossing?

Report the problem or emergency 1-800-832-5452 Crossing number 081585Y